7 Reasons Why Traveling in the Fall is the Best
Fall is here, and with that comes changing foliage, cozy sweaters, and pumpkin spiced everything. It's the time of year that I start thinking more about indoor activities and staying in. But did you know that fall is one of the best times of the year to travel? Here’s our top reasons why autumn is the best time to travel, to help you to pick up your bags this fall!
1. Lower Prices. You’ll be saving on both airfare and hotels during this time, which is considered “off-season” since there are less people compared to summer or winter break. You won’t be competing with other travelers, which drives up the prices. Just think of all those families traveling when their kids are on summer break, or the hoards of people traveling for the winter holidays. Yup, you’ll be avoiding that! At least until Thanksgiving comes around…
2. Fewer crowds. Being “off-season” also means popular spots are less crowded and have shorter lines. No need to wait for everyone to get out of your way so that you can snap a pic! Also, if the city is very popular for tourists, consider that this season will be considerably quieter- some may argue this gives you a more authentic experience. Sometimes there are other reasons for cheaper tickets- so be sure to do your research beforehand. For example, areas like the Caribbean have a hurricane/rainy season and they give massive discounts to entice travelers- so travel on the cheap at your own risk.
3. Gorgeous scenery. Especially as someone who lives in San Francisco, where the seasons are fog, fog, fog, two weeks of sun, and fog again, it’s exciting to see some stunning foliage. I’m not quite as excited about 100 degrees weather, or -5 degree snowstorms but I’m stoked about pretty leaves, with hot tea, and an adorable town.
4. Festival Season. Oktoberfest, Diwali, London Fashion Week, Halloween, Dia de los Muertos, Guy Fawkes Night, Loi Krathong, MassKara Festival, Mid-Autumn Festival. There’s literally tons of events, holidays, festivals to celebrate around the world! Just take a look to see which ones appeal to you.
5. Weather is perfect. You won’t be sweltering in the heat or freezing in the cold. It’s just warm enough where you don’t have to pack bulky winter coats and sweaters, and breezy enough to stay outdoors longer during the day. Of course, this doesn’t apply if you’re traveling to somewhere south of the equator, so check the weather beforehand!
6. Fall cuisine. If you’re a foodie, consider how this is the peak season for apples, pears, squash and sweet potatoes. Restaurants will be switching up their menu to use the new produce coming in for you to enjoy. Plus, less crowds means that it is that much easier to book a reservation at that popular restaurant you've been eyeing!
7. Refresh before the holidays. I don’t know about you, but I think the idea of getting away and having some time to yourself before the holiday rush is an absolutely genius idea! Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years- whatever you celebrate or not, it’s a busy season where you’ll probably be traveling to spend time with family and friends, and maybe you can use a little quiet time in preparation.
If traveling in the fall still doesn’t sound like a good time then.. Well maybe it just isn’t for you. But, personally, I’ve already added a dozen more places to my list of places to go and things to see! I hope you’re excited to explore somewhere, too!Make the trip easier with an Anti-theft bag. Just because the tourist season dies out around fall, it doesn't mean the pickpockets just go on vacation! Our Anti-theft Waterproof Crossbodies were designed to be perfect for travelers, so check it out!
Karin is the co-founder of Arden Cove and co-creator of the Anti-Theft Waterproof Crossbodies - bags created for women who want all the practicality and safety features without compromising in style. Shop ArdenCove.com.
Leave a comment