Jeju Island, located off the southern coast of South Korea, is a breathtaking destination known for its stunning landscapes, volcanic formations, and vibrant culture. With limited time on your hands, a well-planned itinerary is essential to make the most of your 3-day adventure. In this guide, we'll take you through a comprehensive itinerary, suggest accommodations, tantalize your taste buds with local cuisine, and highlight must-visit attractions in Jeju.
@ardencove the prettiest blue water 🌊💙 can't miss it if you're visiting Jeju! 🏝️ 📍Jeju Island, handam coastal walk 한담해변 & Seonnyeotang 황우지 선녀탕 🎒 Carmel Convertible backpack in chocolate brown 🛍️ ArdenCove.com for anti-theft water resistant travel bags #jeju #jejuisland #korea #제주 #제주도 #nature #beach #ocean #water #waves #naturevibes #naturelove #naturelover #naturetiktok #beachvibes #beachday #beachlife #beachwaves #beaches #oceano #oceanside #whattodoinkorea #travel #traveltiktok #travellife #travelbucketlist #traveltok #visitjeju #visitjejufullofwonders ♬ This is heaven - Nightshade
Day 1: Leisurely day on West Coast & Jeju City
- Take a scenic drive to the western side of the island and relax at Hyeopjae Beach (협재해변) or Geumneung Beach (금능해수욕장). Unwind on the sandy shores, take a dip in the clear blue waters.
raw abalone (top), grilled abalone (lower dish) at Eunhye Jeonbog (은혜전복)
@ardencove Must try dishes when visiting Jeju Island! Bookmark for your trip 📑 📍Eunhye Jeonbog 은혜전복, Jeju Island 📨 follow for more travel loving content! 🛍️ shop ardencove.com for anti-theft water-resistant travel bags #제주 #제주도 #제주귤 #food #foodie #foodtiktok #foodtok #foodlover #foodreview #eating #eatwithme #restaurant #visitjejufullofwonders #visitjeju #travel #traveltok #whattodoinkorea #Aewol #Abalonedish #Stonepotrice #Abalone #Abalonestonepotrice #Roastedabalone #abaloneSashimi #Roastedmackerel #애월 #전복요리 #돌솥밥 #음식 #식당 #전복 #전복돌솥밥 #전복죽 #전복뚝배기 #전복해물라면 #전복구이 #전복찜 #전복물회 #고등어구이 ♬ Your World - HyeRim
Udo peanut noodles at Doldam Peanut Noodles, non-spicy (left) and spicy (right)
- Feast on an abalone lunch at Eunhye Jeonbog (은혜전복) or Udo peanut noodles at Doldam Peanut Noodles (돌담땅콩국수)
- Spend the afternoon sipping coffee beachside cafe hopping at Aewol Cafe Street. My favorite was All That Coffee's flat white on their roof top terrace. Bomnal Cafe is famous for their views and feature in the Korean drama Warm & Cozy. If you're a fan of G-Dragon from Big Bang check out his cafe Cafe Aewol Monsant. Take a stroll along the Handam Coastal Walk.
All That's Coffee flat white coffee
Handam Coastal Walk
- Visit the fun and quirky Jeju Loveland, an adult-themed sculpture park that celebrates the beauty of human sexuality. Explore the art installations and sculptures that depict various aspects of love and relationships.
- For dinner in Jeju City, have iconic Jeju Black Pork BBQ at the famous Sukseongdo (숙성도) restaurant or try green tangerine cold soba at Dotori Kitchen. Other options (or if you have more energy) include the Dongmun Traditional Market, or experience the vibrant nightlife at Tap-dong Street, filled with cafes, bars, and street food vendors.
Black pork BBQ at Sukseongdo (숙성도)
@ardencove Jeju island is famous for their native Black Pork, so we went to one of the best places to enjoy it in Jeju City! 📍 Sukseongdo, Jeju City, Jeju Island, South Korea they have two locations a block from each other so try the other location if one is full! 👛 grande marina wallet in brown gold with a short strap 🛍️ ArdenCove.com for anti-theft water-resistant travel bags #kbbq #jeju #jejuisland #jejucity #korea #blackpork #jejublackpork #제주 #한국 #한국어 #흑돼지 #흑돼지맛집 #food #foodie #foodtiktok #foodtok #foodlover #foodies #foodreview #foodporm ♬ 빙빙 (Being Being) - Jue
Green tangerine cold soba at Dotori Kitchen
@ardencove Jeju is famous for their citrus 🍋🍊 so you don't want to miss specialty dishes that celebrate local flavors like this green tangerine soba 💚 📍 Dotoree kitchen 도토리키진, Jeju Island 📨 follow for more travel loving content! 🛍️ shop ardencove.com for anti-theft water-resistant travel bags #dotoree #dotoreekitchen #도토리키진 #제주 #제주도 #soba #소바 #greentangerine #greentangerinesoba #청귤 #jejutangerine #제주귤 #food #foodie #foodtiktok #foodtok #foodlover #foodreview #eating #eatwithme #restaurant #visitjejufullofwonders #visitjeju #travel #traveltok #whattodoinkorea ♬ 夏日风铃 - Official Sound Studio
Dongmun Traditional Market
@ardencove Jeju islands's largest and oldest permanent market is the popular Dongmun Traditional Market! 🍊 Check out their local specialties of seafood, hallabong oranges, rice cakes, and udo peanuts. 🛍️ ArdenCove.com for anti-theft water-resistant travel bags #jeju #jejuisland #jejucity #korea #제주 #한국 #한국어 #흑돼지 #흑돼지맛집 #food #foodie #foodtiktok #foodtok #foodlover #foodies #dongmunmarket #traditionalmarket #localfood #localcuisine ♬ Your World - HyeRim
Jeju-mok Government Office
@ardencove Jeju's oldest building is a great place to see and learn it's history from the Joseon Dynasty! #jeju #korea #history #koreanhistory #jejuisland #traditionalarchitecture #traditionalbuilding ♬ Korean drama style BGM with a dark and sad feeling(1313986) - Lizard music
- Jeju-mok Government Office (제주목관아), learn about the Tamna period and Joseon dynasty with some of the the oldest buildings in Jeju
- Hallim Park, a beautiful botanical garden that showcases diverse flora and unique lava formations
- O'Sulloc Tea Museum, discover the rich heritage and artistry of Korean tea culture
- Jeju Folklore and Natural History Museum, learn how the island was formed and traditional culture
Day 2: Outdoor Adventure Hallasan & Southern Coast
Top of Eoseungsaengak hiking trail on Hallasan
- Start your day early and head to Hallasan National Park, home to South Korea's highest peak, Mount Hallasan. The mountain has seven hiking trails and we opted for the easier yet scenic Eoseungsaengak trail starts at the visitor center and takes about 30 minutes one way. We picked up snacks at the convenience store beforehand.
- Head to the southern coast and spend the afternoon exploring natural wonders like Cheonjeyeon Waterfalls 천제연폭포, Daepo Jusangjeolli Cliff (주상절리대(대포동지삿개)), the lone rock Oedolgae 외돌개, the natural pool Hwanguji Seonnyeotang 황우지 선녀탕, Cheonjiyeon waterfall, Jeongbang Waterfall 정방폭포, and Sojeongbang Waterfall 소정방폭포. Pick a few to visit and it would be easiest to drive or taxi in between.
- Lunch and rest in between with food and cafes in Seogwipo-si. Try abalone nulhoe naengmyeon at 오가네설렁탕, pretend you're in a ghibli movie at the Cafe Tangerine Flower Attic (카페 귤꽃다락), enjoy the peaceful teahouse overlooking tea fields at Seogwidawon (서귀다원)
Cheonjiyeon Water Falls
- Head back to Seogwipo-si for dinner. Try boiled pork belly at Cheonjitgol Sikdang, or head to Seowipo Olle Market to enjoy beer and snacks at Jeju Mineral Spring or a hearty pork KBBQ at 뽈살집.
- Jeju Teddy Bear Museum, teddy bears displays as many famous personalities or characters, famous for being in the kdrama Princess Hours
- Jeju Stone Park, see Jeju's unique rock formations, wander through lush gardens, and delve into the island's fascinating volcanic history
- Aquaplanet Jeju, aquarium with marine exhibits and shows
- Alive Museum, interactive art gallery with optical illusions
Day 3: Trip to Udo Island & Eastern Coast
Seongsan Ilchulbong (Sunrise Peak)
- Start your day with a visit to Seongsan Ilchulbong (Sunrise Peak), an iconic UNESCO World Heritage Site. Witness a breathtaking sunrise from its summit and take in panoramic views of the island.
- Get coffee and a pastry at Dorrell cafe or Cafe Coji
- Head to Udo Island, a small island located off the eastern coast of Jeju. Take a ferry from Seongsan Port and spend the afternoon exploring the island's scenic beauty.
Udo Beach, background is Jeju Island
- Rent a bicycle or an electric scooter to circle the island and visit attractions such as Seobin Baeksa Beach, Udo Lighthouse, Haumokdong Stone Garden, and hike up Udobong.
- For lunch enjoy tonkatsu beachside at Onoff, Jeju pork burger with peanut sauce at Annyeong Yukji Salam, or Hallasan fried rice at Pungwon
- When you want a break, rest with Jeju carrot cake and Udo peanut chocolate cookies at Cafe Sale, or peanut latte and peanut ice cream at Blanc Rocher. Udo is famous for peanuts, so try a peanut latte, peanut ice cream, and peanut makgeolli. The three main ice cream places at Geommeolle are Jimmy’s (지미스), Dennis Cafe (대니스카페), and Udo Prince Story (우도왕자이야기).
Udo peanut soft serve icecream
- When returning from Udo you can catch the Haenyeo Women Diver Show at 3 PM (and 1:30 PM) at Seongsan Ilchulbong
- If returning later in the day, you can stay nearby for a sunset stroll and beautiful view at the Seopjikoji lookout point and explore the Seopjikoji coastal walking path nearby, famous for its picturesque cliffs, vibrant yellow canola fields, and charming lighthouses.
- For dinner, enjoy black shrimp sashimi at Seopjikojiro, try red snapper and makeral Hweh (Korean style sashimi of raw fish served with perilla leaves) at Namyang Susan, abalone specialties at Myeongjin Jeonbok, or bossam pork wraps at Seonheulgot
- Manjanggul lava caves, explore ancient lava tubes
- Jeju Folk Village Museum, see traditional thatched-roof houses, interactive exhibits, and live performances
Getting to Jeju Island:
Jeju Island is easily accessible from various cities in South Korea and a few international destinations. Here are the most common ways to reach Jeju Island:
- Jeju International Airport (CJU) in Jeju City is the main gateway to the island, serving domestic and international flights. Several major airlines operate regular flights to and from Jeju.
- From Seoul: The most convenient way to reach Jeju from Seoul is by taking a domestic flight from either Incheon International Airport (ICN) or Gimpo International Airport (GMP). Numerous flights operate throughout the day, offering a flight duration of approximately one hour.
- From other cities in South Korea: Major cities like Busan, Daegu, and Gwangju have direct flights to Jeju as well. Check with local airlines for available routes.
- If you prefer a scenic journey, you can take a ferry to Jeju Island.
- From Busan: Ferries operate daily from Busan Port to Jeju Port. The journey takes around 2.5 to 3 hours, and various ferry operators offer different schedules. It's advisable to book in advance, especially during peak travel seasons.
- From other coastal cities: Limited ferry services may be available from other coastal cities like Mokpo and Wando. Check the availability and schedules with the ferry operators.
Traveling within Jeju Island:
Jeju buses are easy to ride with many signs at major stops with timetables
- Public transportation: Jeju has a well-connected public bus system that covers most of the island's attractions. Local buses are a convenient and affordable option for getting around, but you may need to wait longer for a bus and some routes are long to get to the other side of the island. Most fares are around ₩1250 (~$1USD) making it the cheapest way to get around. Timetables and routes can be found at bus stops or online. There are no metro or subway system on the island.
- Google maps does not work well in Korea, download Naver Maps for accurate public transportation lines and timetables.
- Get a T money or Cashbee card to pay for the bus. You can purchase at the airport or at convenience stores and reload with cash at convenience stores. This card will work for payment for public transportation, most taxis, and convenience stores throughout Korea, but always bring cash just in case.
- Taxis: Taxis are readily available throughout Jeju Island. They are a convenient mode of transportation, especially if you're traveling in a group or have limited time. Ensure the driver uses the meter or agree on a fare before starting the ride.
- Download the Kakao Taxi app before your trip to call taxis on demand. You can't add an international credit card to the app but you can select cash payment directly to the driver once the ride is complete.
- Renting a car: Renting a car is a popular option for exploring Jeju Island at your own pace. Many car rental agencies are available at Jeju International Airport and in major cities.
- Make sure to have an international driving license if you're a foreign visitor.
- Koreans drive on the right hand side of the road, just as they do in the US.
It's recommended to check for any travel advisories or changes in transportation schedules before your trip. Additionally, consider booking your flights or ferries in advance, especially during peak travel seasons, to secure your preferred travel dates and times.
Whether you choose to fly or take a ferry, your journey to Jeju Island will be the beginning of an incredible adventure filled with natural wonders and cultural discoveries.
Where to Stay:
- Jeju offers a range of accommodations, from luxurious resorts to cozy guesthouses.
- If you're seeking convenience, Jeju City and Seogwipo City are excellent options, with various hotels and guesthouses to suit different budgets. Jeju City is close to the airport, convience stores and shops while Seogwipo is on the other side of the island and closer to many scenic destinations, perfect if you are renting a car.
- Alternatively, for a more secluded experience, consider staying in traditional guesthouses or pensions nestled amidst Jeju's nature.
With its natural wonders, rich culture, and mouthwatering cuisine, Jeju Island offers a memorable getaway. This 3-day guide provides a comprehensive itinerary to help you make the most of your time on this enchanting island. Embrace the beauty of Jeju, indulge in its culinary delights, and create lasting memories in this South Korean gem.
If you're also traveling though Seoul and Busan, check out my guides for them as well (coming soon)!
Karin is the co-founder of Arden Cove and co-creator of the Anti-Theft Waterproof Crossbodies - bags created for women who want all the practicality and safety features without compromising in style. Shop ArdenCove.com.